Not sure what level you are?
If you are not sure how good you are on harmonica then this is an excellent place to start. I will give you some information about the different levels that I teach so that you know whereabouts you are on the harmonica journey.
Why do you need to know?
It is really important to know where you currently stand for a few reasons;
• You can take lessons which are appropriate for your level and will help you improve
• You can track your progress on the instrument
• You know exactly what skills you need to acquire to move forward
Why do I need to know?
If you select one of the four levels above or below, it means that I can send you lessons which are perfect for you. Otherwise, I might send you lessons that are too easy or too hard which is pretty discouraging!
What are the different levels?
Go down this page and I have split harmonica players into four levels. Click the one that most closely describes you. If in doubt between two levels, I recommend you select the lower of the two.
– Just starting out and struggling to play clean single notes
– Not entirely sure how far up and down the harmonica you need to go to move between holes
– You want to master relatively simple melodies so you have something to play for your family
– Your rhythm is wobbly and you have trouble tapping a steady beat with your foot
– You’re not entirely sure what a 12 bar blues is but you know one when you hear it
– Feeling a bit more confident and coordinated
– Your rhythm is a bit more solid during simpler passages but still not “rock solid”
– You have started bending a little on the 4 draw
– You have tried to jam a little over a 12 bar blues but you play the same safe things over and over
– You can bend 4 and 2 holes but your 3 hole doesn’t sound as bluesy as you would like it to be
– You can play simple melodies no problem
– You have jammed a little bit over CDs or bands and are reasonably comfortable with a 12 bar blues structure but you are not entirely sure which notes apart from the root notes work best
– You sound bluesy to your friends and family but you are aware that there is more…
– You are ready to start learning more musical knowledge
– You can do all the draw bends and have done a little bit of blow bending
– You have a bunch of cool techniques to hand such as warbles, glissandos, chugging, tongue-blocking
– 12 bar blues feel natural now and you can even jam over weird blues structures without too much trouble
– When you solo you feel like you are playing it safe
– You are really happy in 2nd position but want to open up to more positions on the harmonica and get more in-depth musical knowledge